Not sure when this group started but in the year or so before his death Zach really encouraged me to connect with some of my female friends on a regular basis. My sister-in-laws, Jessica and Sonya, got a group of my friends together and we started Monthly Girl's Night Out. This group of ladies has been a huge support to me and each one has blessed me more than I can express. On Friday night Christa, Sarah, Sonya, Jessica and I attended the Casting Crowns/Laura Story/King and Country Concert (Tara and Margo weren't able to come). Casting Crowns and Laura Story sing some of my favorite songs that I have listened to over and over again over the past year (Blessings-Laura Story and Praise You In the Storm-Casting Crowns). I have often wondered what trial Laura Story went through that led her to write Blessings and she shared during the concert that her husband had a brain tumor about 1 1/2 years after they were married. The doctors were able to remove it, but he continues to have some disabilities as a result.
One song Casting Crowns sang that I didn't remember hearing before was "Dream for You" (see below) It caused me to reflect on the dreams I had for my future-dreams that I felt like God closed the doors on the day Zach was diagnosed with cancer. I have struggled to dream again about the future even as I see God's faithfulness to me in the last 3 1/2 years. I worry that if I make plans for the future the doors on my expectations/dreams will just continue to be shut and I will be faced with more disappointment.
On Sunday, I had the opportunity to share about the Cancer Redemption Project with a small group at Northeast Christian Church. As part of my talk I shared a testimony of how God has worked in my life over the years. One man came up to me afterwards and encouraged me by saying he saw me as a woman who says yes to God. I have been reflecting upon his words and the fact that the desire of my heart is to say yes to God's plan for my life. I am saddened by the fact that I easily become discouraged when saying yes to God means that I experience trials, emotional discomfort, stress, and the loss of my dreams. With this on my mind, I spent some time today listening a sermon Eric Ludy preached last week entitled "The Making of Yes-Men." He pointed out that we all say yes to some authority. We are either with Jesus or with the World. "As Christians, are we submitted to the voice of God alone, saying, "Yes, Lord, whatever pleases You?" Or are we bowing to the voice of the world, shutting out the wisdom of our Shepherd's Words?" I am sure I will continue to think about this in the in the coming days as I try to figure out what God is teaching me. For now I am praying that I can accept that God's dreams/plans for me are so much greater than anything I can come up with in my mind. He knows what is best for me and He will direct me if I continue to submit to His will. I need to keep trusting Him even if His will means more time waiting in the valley instead of rejoicing on top of the mountain.
Dream for You
Mark Hall and Matthew West
Hey, David, I hear you've been dreaming
About being a big time shepherd some day
You're gonna prove your brothers wrong
You're gonna sing your shepherd song
To the cattle on a thousand hills
But I've been thinking
I'm having trouble with a giant down the road
You're the one who's going to face him toe to toe
Wipe that grin right off his face
And whip this army into shape
I'm going to turn the nation back to Me
And David, you're right about one thing
Your little shepherd songs are going to make the whole world sing
And I'm gonna make you king
So come on, let Me dream, let Me dream for you
I am strong when you're weak and I'll carry you
So let go of your plan, be caught by My hand
I'll show you what I can do
When I dream for you
I have a dream for you
Hey Mary, I've heard you've been dreaming
Making plans for your big wedding day
You and Joseph are gonna be
The picture perfect family
Maybe a couple of kids down the road
But I've been thinking
Even before time began
I had a picture perfect plan
Of how to save this broken world
Through the life of just one man
I'm gonna send my only Son
And Mary, you're the one
You were right about one thing
You're gonna have that family
And you're gonna raise a King
I'm stronger than you think I am
I'll take you farther than you think you can
You sing and call me Great I Am
So take your stand
My child, if you only knew
All the plans that I have for you
Just trust me, I will follow through
You can follow Me
1 comment:
SUCH a great night!!
So funny! If I could pick 1 song from the entire night, it would've been Dream For You as well. LOVED the words.
Love you, friend! Thanks for sharing your thoughts...
Post a Comment