After six weeks of getting rid of stuff I would really like to be done, but I am guessing at the rate I am going I will need every week until my June 1st deadline. This week I went through my clothes. After pulling out the boxes of out of season clothes and sorting through the clothing in my closet and drawers I was surprised to find I had 70 items to get rid of. Crazy that I have held on to so many things. I found items I bought during college and way to many t-shirts. I took some comfort in the fact that most of what I got rid of I either bought a long time ago or purchased secondhand. I laughed as I thew away the flip flops I wore all around Europe a few weeks before I married Zach-seriously who keeps the same flip flops for over seven years? They were pretty worn out and I am not sure if I even wore them last summer. In addition to getting rid of clothes I also gave away bunk bed set we bought at a garage sale when we were licensed as foster parents and thought we might need more beds-thankful some friends can use them for their sons.
Sorting clothing made me realize that I had items I wasn't wearing because they needed hemmed or repaired so I pulled out the sewing machine. Once I had the clothing taken care of, I shortened the curtains in my bedroom that have been way too long since I hung them up in July or August. I learned the hard way that I should have washed them before measuring and cutting, so I ended up with 3/4 inch hems instead of the 2-3 inch hems I intended. This is what happens you know enough about sewing to try it, but not enough to do it efficiently. Guessing my Aunt Joan who taught be how to sew could have taken care of the curtains in a third of the time it took me.
Once again I am not sure what I am going to tackle this week. My week will be shorter since we get to make a trip to Illinois for a Cancer Redemption Project Presentation and my brother-in-law Danny's wedding. Looking forward to officially having Sarah as part of the family.
Now for a few pictures:
The give away pile.
A portion of my closet-thankfully lots of empty space even with
both my winter and summer clothing (no more clothing in storage boxes).
No comments:
Post a Comment